Welcome!

Welcome to Intro to Modern Art! I’m excited to get started and get to know you. We’ll be covering a lot (but not nearly everything, because that’s impossible!) over this semester, from Land Art to Surrealism, photography to installation art and sculpture. I encourage you to take a look at the SYLLABUS page for general information about the class, the SCHEDULE page for a detailed breakdown of each week and the themes we’ll be exploring in modern art, and finally the ASSIGNMENTS page for what to expect in terms of grading and work for the course. Under RESOURCES, I’ve provided a list of museums and galleries (and how to get free or discounted admission!), plus some handy campus resources to be aware of. If you haven’t yet, please fill out this short survey to give me a better sense of who you are and what you’re looking to get out of this class.

Finally, a little about me: I’m a current PhD student in Art History at the Graduate Center, CUNY, and my research is focused on the history of photography. I worked for about a decade as a photojournalist before coming back to school, and spent a while doing different kinds of work within the photo industry (helping to produce a public photo festival in NYC, supporting an award-winning documentary photographer, teaching high schoolers at NYU, and lots more). I’m passionate about how visual language and images impact our understanding of the world. Outside of work I love rock climbing, gaming, gardening (with mixed results), and attempting to sew my own clothes (also mixed results).